Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tim Price Bloggin' For Rico- March 2011 in the TP Lane.

Happy March to you all!

Hope it is filled with nice notes and some new musical activity. The winter in my area, has been beautiful this year. Also I've been checking out some red bananas,which are a variety of bananas with a reddish-purple skin. They are smaller and plumper than the traditional Cavendish banana! My favorite breakfast is granola with blueberrys, bananas , and milk.

I’ve been home writing and listening to music for some inspiration.Teaching a lot too, on Skype and in the studio.

Two musical works I have heard that are worth mentioning are the Chu Berry Mosaic box set.This is a comprehensive collection . It features 203 separate recordings on seven CDs . Every saxophonist must study his remarkable surefootedness as a soloist; Chu was in an era where evolution in the music was running rampant and Chu Berry's tenor saxophone was one of the things making it run.
Also a double DVD of Keith Jarrett playing live.Beautiful! Two different ends of the spectrum, but, never the less, both moving and creative. Really inspiring music!

For the shed; I have some very interesting concepts here, and things that are fun and provoke some fresh ideas on II-V. II-V-I Patterns: Starting on the Tonic of the II Minor 7 Chord.
This lesson in seven parts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 , August 2002 This is a very clear and useful lesson using II-V. Lots to play/study. http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/II-V-I-Patterns1.html I've taken a basic study and then moved it through six steps. Then I included one of my own based on a variation of some of the first six. I think it's always good for all of us to go back to a basic pattern study to clear our ears and refresh our chops. Look at all six shapes. As you start to hear the line, go back and write something of your own based on mine. Minor 7b5 to Dominant 7b9 August 2001 http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/Aug01.html 2 Bar II-V Phrases - via Entire Range of the Sax.http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/Sept01.html This is designed to assist you in using your saxophone fully! Full range! HAVE FUN.
This might help add some new ideas to your playing and keep your shed time fun. Enjoy~

On You Tube- There is so much great music out there. I recently heard Henry Grimes, Andrew Cyrille and Paul Dunmall taking it all the way out. Saxophonists NEED to listen to Paul Dunmall- he is fantastic and just a joy to hear.Wonderful!Till next week, Keep an open mind.

BE VIGILANT! Think about others more than yourself!

Enjoy- Tim Price

No comments:

Post a Comment