Monday, June 25, 2012

Tim Price Blogging for Rico- Melodic Improvisation & the abstract truth.

Back "in the day"..I created these studys to help students,sax players worldwide. Since then the "lessons" expanded to a free book & half worth of material. Sax on the Web > Saxophone Lessons with Tim Price > Melodic Improvisation Harri Rautiainen.."Oldies but goodies! Now revised lay-out." Sax on the Web > Saxophone Lessons with Tim Price > Melodic Improvisation http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/MelodicImprov.html Back "in the day"....LOL....I created these SOTW studys to help students,sax players worldwide. Since then the "lessons" expanded to a free book & half worth of material. Another thing was to get the people to understand the importance of BASICS. Von Freeman told me once, in the 70's in Chigago that if you knew major,minor, augmented and diminished...everything else was right there as well with WORK. Of course I expanded some things for players, to catch some of my harder stuff, such as _ http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/Feb01.html 1969- I saw caught Monk & Charlie Rouse when I was 17 every night of the week-I heard elements in that band I never heard elsewhere. What got to me was how_IN_they could get and still sound far out. I could hear the tune, I got tight with Charlie Rouse. ( I was 17, had a fake ID as I was playing gigs since I was in 9th grade etc) Rouse was amazing, to the_classic_MK6- Link thing. But the lines came from the basics, ditto Wayne Shorter and the greats we love and hear everyday. Years later,I had the pleasure of meeting the great tenor player- BIG NICK. It was at a Guardala clinic,I brought him to. he was using a " post bop" piece but that was just a tool in this mans hands. ( He loved the piece) He was the guy Trane wrote BIG NICK for which is in all your fake books!!! We'd hang at the "China Song" in NYC, after gigs or to meet to shed during the day. ( see picture below) And Big Nick would kill shedding the UNIVERSAL BOOK. The SOTW studys I put up are things_most_players should know in one form or another. Nick & I would play stuff like this, take it into space, play it funky or even as a ballad. In real time NOT as a etude kinda thing. He also was into the FRANK VIOLIN piece. He had the music to that- and showed me what he hipped TRANE to in the piece. Again, as far out as THAT seems...if ya ain't got the basics...none of the other stuff makes sense. Ya know?! Even back, pre-Berklee for me. I could tell that knowing the basics had a essence that worked. At that point- it was learning stuff from records as there were no books or transcription services or internet. So you had to get next to the music, listen and play along. Playing those joints in my high school daze were an education... great memorys & saxophone DNA. An invasion of memories-and an education for me.LOL.. Many times I drift back to these times-I grew up in the city (Reading Pa) the world sure was different then. But playing those Jr Walker & Horace Silver tunes at gigs, along with Motown stuff and all was part of it. Simplicity and knowing. There were no APS for the chords, or real books- you had to learn- know and play. Another time period. Check junior here....so vivid a sound. Nice! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBY53...layer_embedded HE WAS...the thing.The cartoon image on the Jr Walker record always made me smile growing up. Autry DeWalt aka Jr Walker!! Music, life and compassion. You dig!:) Enjoy and work hard at what you love. ~ Tim Price www.timpricejazz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment