Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tim Price Bloggin' For Rico- Modern Pentatonic Concepts.

This weeks blog- I will be doing a special improvisation workshop on modern pentatonic concepts. This is on the intermediate to advanced level- and not a set of licks or something like that. It is a pentatonic scale that works on over 13 chord types per key. If you take it through all twelve keys- the possibilities are endless.
But take note dear reader, this is just one of these advanced scales. I have over 15 I'm teaching and using as well. For searchers, these scales will provided a harmonic background and a path for further explorations in every type of improvised music.Do not underestimate the extent of these scales enterprise and worth. These are not just simply a musical method--They are the past, the present, the future, all in one! I take great pride and pleasure in sharing them with you.
This is a pentatonic scale based on- Root / #4, 5, natural 7 and root. If you take the time to try it against the given chord types CΔ7 , C-Δ7 , CΔ7(b5) , D7sus4 , EbΔ7(+5) , EbΔ7(b5) , E7 , F7 , F#-7(b5) , A-7 , A7sus4 , Bb7 , B7 for the key of C you are going to have endless things to play. Then, study it the way I used it starting on the different chord tones. This is the most you might learn within one lesson and it is a lot of work that will bring personal results and get you closer to some ideas and shapes you can hear of your own. Remember go slow. Play it against a band in the box chord, or some play along tracks. Then isolate a few of the progressions you already know and apply it. Remember this is not licks,its a technical approach that needs practicing and application first. To hear is to see ok?
In my private teaching in New York City, Reading, Pa and on Skype these are being taught with great success. I also do these in University workshops and it's an endless form of inspiration for the students seeking fresh agendas in modern improvisation. I have over 15 of these scales, including the basic pentatonic 1-2-3-5-6. It's a mind opener and a ear opener for personal expression. Look carefully at how the chord tone apply to how you use the scale, which degree of the chord and so on.
Special thank you very much to my long time friend Harri Rautiainen at Sax On The Web for hs great assistance, as always.
Go here and follow the links. Enjoy! http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/Feb01.html http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/Modern-Pentatonic.pdf
IF YOU WANT TO GO TO A DIFFERENT SOUND- Again past the basic pentatonic scale. Try this exercise. http://www.timpricejazz.com/lessons/newpdfs/PentLickonb6of-7b5.pdf Your building the given scale OFF the b6, of the chord, them going from there. This is an all together different scale than I used in the above SOTW study.
Here's another built off the #4 of the chord ; http://www.timpricejazz.com/lessons/newpdfs/PentLickon4od-7b5.pdf ~ It's vital to you as a traveler of this music to be a searcher.Coltrane was a searcher. Ernie Watts sure is a searcher and life long student of the music. I am constantly looking for University's, summer camps and schools to share my knowledge. What I offer is what I've been taught by the masters to do. Musicians like Charlie Mariano,John LaPorta, Sal Nistico and Joe Viola. Plus many others.I got my info from the hands of a master- and put it to use.If you know of a situation that could use my services- I AM INTERESTED.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THESE PENTATONICS. THANKS AND ENJOY. ~ Tim Price

No comments:

Post a Comment