Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tim Price Bloggin' For Rico- Musical forward motion in the Jazz-A-Delic lane.

.... Being a complete musician goes well beyond the notes.It involves more than just getting a degree, playing your instrument, and those aspects. More so, it includes, the day to day life of travel, prep before you travel, making sure your ducks are in a row on the daily agenda.Gas for the car, bus ticket, clothes and schedule. Anything short of that in todays environment is a loss on the player-performers game card. Yes, it's past the mouthpieces, or a five digit Selmer and the demo CD that your uncle Ralph paid for. It's called- day to day life. Here is a day in my life- as of May 13th. I thought I'd share this with you all dear readers, hope you enjoy it. I continue to explore and learn all I can in the quest to develop my own musical voice. This is an account of a day in my life, and what’s behind the music via a profound the effect on my musical psyche.As I said, being a complete musician goes well beyond the notes. I’m grateful for that......As you read, Putting life together- and dealing with it. I'm glad I'm doing things I enjoy. To come up to date,Sunday April 7, I will present my Sax Workshop 11 am in Reading, Pa for Berks Jazz festival at the Goggle Works. Check www.berksjazzfest.com for directions etc. Stop by please if your at the Jazz Festival this weekend. My philosophy about personal musical growth is that musicians should learn how to think, listen and talk about music. Likewise, I pass this on to my students of all ages. IT'S WORKING! If your in 5th grade or a Doctor studying jazz clarinet with me for fun. There's something we all have. It's this criteria: brain, ears, and voice. Naturally, these three are interrelated. If you think about music, then it follows that you can easily talk about it. Listening is the most important part. Without ears, music would not exist. If I had to pick the most valuable musical tool for shaping musical growth, it would be personal taste. Always visualize only favorable and beneficial situations.Music helps with this.Try to use positive words in your inner dialogues or when talking with others. Once a negative thought enters your mind, you have to be aware of it and endeavor to replace it with a constructive one.Persistence will eventually teach your mind to think positively and ignore negative thoughts.It does not matter what your circumstances are at the present moment. Think positively, expect only favorable results and situations, and circumstances will change accordingly. It may take some time for the changes to take place, but eventually they do. A student once asked me if a particular note "worked" in a particular setting; my response was, "only if you like it". Take it a step further Bob Dylan plays the same C7 chord that Pat Martino does. Same 4 notes, likewise when Sonny Rollins hits a D minor 7th, it's the same chord that Jeff Beck might play or Keith Jarrett. It's how YOU deliver it. Lots of cooks use tomatoes and basil you dig? Same deal.Keeping a open mind can create a path for a student. There's a big difference between Bud Powell and Duke Ellington. But they both have a message. Think about it.Personal musical taste expands infinitely. This allows for musical evolution. Just live it. Go for it. Play it. Write it. Above all, use your own personal, ever growing, musical taste. Hence, music is the real teacher. Share the music and propagate it as much as you can. As always,strive for tone and help your school music programs, in every way you can. - Also within Berks Jazz Festival...my Jazz Festival gig is April 11TH. NOW-Tim Price Jazz-A-Delic,Thursday, April 11, 7 p.m.Gerald Veasley's Jazz Base / Crowne Plaza Reading / Tickets: $15 Berks native Tim Price is no stranger to the Berks Jazz Fest.For the upcoming fest, I will showcase my Jazz-A-Delic project, featuring out of this world vibraphonist/percussionist Randy Sutin, who has been creating music with me for over 26 years; drummer/composer/educator, the great Sean Kennedy; and the great bassist Mark Amentt.If your within distance, stop by and listen. I'm a lucky guy! As I said before... being a complete musician goes well beyond the notes. Check this-When I was a student in high school I wore out a James Moody record with " Last Train From Overbrook" on it. He became one of my favorites.Years later he gave me a saxophone lesson ( in 1973! ) in the Taft Hotel in NYC.I was fascinated by a tri-tone technique he was using, he showed me a lot of other things in that lesson too. I went to pay him and he told me to just remember him when I became well known. At that time,I was living in the Bronx,and was flattered by his humanity. Years later he spoke to me at an IAJE and I reminded him of this story and he kissed me on the cheek.His musicianship and his aspect of being a good person left a deep inspiration on me for life.There was also a point he lived in Reading, Pa where I am from. This was in his childhood years. His mother operated the elevator at Pomeroy's department store here in Reading Pa at 6th & Penn St. He told me that story on a break at the Jazz Workshop in Boston when he was playing with Dizzy ' round 1970.Music is a beyond words experience.Someone as great as James Moody- is a huge benchmark to me. As well as many others I mention.Keep on your path and do something good for somebody. Be well and remember compassion is essential with each other. See you next week. - Tim Price

No comments:

Post a Comment