Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tim Price Bloggin' For D'Addario Woodwinds- GIVE ME 5- with saxophone master Emanuele Cisi.


It has been my contention that the most valuable viewpoints come from those who do. Thus, it’s logical to assume that any artist who is surviving in this field, and doing it with success, is doing something right. The energies we all put into our craft; The years of apprenticeship and the intense commitment to the horn, and the pure love of playing it are paramount to the art form. This section of my D'Addario Woodwinds Blogs by Tim Price, to all intents and purposes is a sort of portable omnibus of sax / woodwind creations. Musically, verbally and spiritually. The music these players create and talk about is a privilege to be a part of. The music always has an infinite history and fertility, inexhaustible vitality, and at the same time, a seductive power of temptation - which inspires all of us who play – and offers the open-ended invitation to create as much as we can. The results, the waiting, the practicing at all hours, the talking of the music and constant study gives the music a breath of spirit, endless in motion and evolution.

This weeks blog features a player whom I hold in high regard not only as a player of world class talent but a great friend as well. Please check out his CDs and you tube playing as well as this blog- what he plays and_how_he plays it is very inspiring. The 5 questions he answered are really cool- you'll note the simpatico, state of mind and spirit that a lot of these artists have in a way that is not always suspected but a common bond is very much there, but that is also the reason why I'm doing
GIVE ME 5.....
 



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1- How have the last few years of your life affected your current music? 2. How did you choose to play the saxophone, and what players influenced you early on?


1- I guess that the more I'm getting older, the more life and music goes really together, I mean they really have a mutual influence, I would say more than in the past. Maybe because maturity in life brings element of wisdom and depth in your music, even if you feel to have already "maturity" in your playing.






2. How did you choose to play the saxophone, and what players influenced you early on?

2- Saxophone was'nt actually my first choice, being attracted more by drums and double bass. But since my parents said I can't practice drums in the flat, and bass was too expensive... sax became the third option. Actually now I think that no other musical instrument would have been more appropriate to me than saxophone! Now is definitely clear, maybe at that time was an unconscious will... but... I just want TO SING, when I play! Also, I decided to play jazz since I discovered this music first attending to some great live concerts: the very first jazz notes I ever listened in my life was in 1976 - an older friend brought me to a jazz festival in Italy - with Art Blakey Jazz Messengers, and Max Roach Quartet the following night. I was totally shocked and I said to myself: "if one day I will ever become a musician..THIS is the music I want to play!". And in the following months and years, I had the chance to listen live to giants such as Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins, James Moody, Archie Shep, Stan Getz, and many others. At the same time I started to buy and listen to records: Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, Mingus, Coltrane, Miles, and so on.




3. At this point in life - What inspires you musically?




3- Mostly Nature. And places and people. And still the "old" Masters: Trane, Lester Young, Stan Getz, Bird, Dexter, Gene Ammons, Sonny Stitt, Charles Lloyd, etc...






4. Your choice of notes is really inspiring- talk about how you arrive at this kind of destination as an artist. What are you thinking about in terms of your solos, and agenda.

4- As I said before, to sing is my real goal. I always try to pick up notes, intervals, lines that I could sing with my voice. And I try to develop those ideas always with a "singing" quality. Off course also rythm is absolutely important to me. Yes, I would say a combination of melody with rhythm is my first approach. I'm obviously talking about a very basic approach, that is heavily influenced by the kind of harmony and style I'm playing in that moment. But yes, what for instance hits me more than all the rest - which is huge, by the way! - in Coltrane's Giant Steps, is that he's ALWAYS singing. Even at that speed and playing so many notes.




5. Talk about some projects coming up in your future, ideas and agendas. Also thank you for doing this- it's a total pleasure.

5- I'm starting right now to think about my next record. I guess I would love to record again in NY, with a great American rhythmic section. Just quartet, as my last release with Eric Reed on piano. Besides of this, I'm busy with many different projects in this moment: a big studio production (released by Warner Music Italy) with an interesting mix of jazz, electronic music, hip hop; and I would like to start to write a book about my experience with saxohpone, with an educational purpose.





















No comments:

Post a Comment